My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

A very outgoing 30-something. Transplanted from Western Canada to Southern USA. An avid reader, prolific writer, and a musician.

Monday, September 20, 2004

Music For The Soul

I've been feeling very guilty lately, mostly because I have kind of put aside some things in my life that bring me great satisfaction. I know that it has been for good reason, and that dealing with family issues is much more important to me, I guess I just didn't realize that I would be putting them aside for quite this long.

Music has always been my very own time of healing. Whether it has been to just soothe me by listening to something calming, or whether its my favorite part - creating my own. I started playing guitar when I was a very little girl, mostly because I wanted my father's acceptance so badly, and because watching him play was like magic to me. He has never taken a lesson in his life and cannot read sheet music, but there isn't anything with strings that he cannot play... and play well. I think I was 4 when he taught me my first chord... a simple A chord. And when I got it mastered I was hooked. I could actually make it sound nice!! My mother and father divorced when I was only 10, but he had spent a lot of time away with work prior to that, so most of my learning was done privately, with books and bugging other adults I knew to teach me a chord. When I was in 5th grade, my mom let me join band in school.... where I discovered that I had a natural knack for picking up several instruments. I learned some flute.. but it was too foo foo for me, so I switched to clarinet and then bass clarinet (which I LOVED)... and then finally one day our band teacher convinced me to try the Tenor Sax because he needed one in the finale we were trying to learn. YAY... I loved that even more.

Going to church all my young life, I was always around singing and pianos and that all just came naturally to me. My father sings like an angel, and would always have parties at the house where his brothers and friends would come for the weekend, all with instruments, and we would have our very own jamboree's of sorts. After my father left, music was my own way of trying to deal with all the feelings I had inside, and it just became something I did daily... played... wrote, sang, whatever. During my most painful times in life, I truly believe that sitting down in the dark with my guitar, saved my sanity and renewed my heart. Needless to say, I've been a slacker since moving to the US. I have been so wrapped up in several hiccups that have happened, that I have forgotten to nurture something that means so much to me. Yesterday, I locked myself in my office at home, warmed up my voice a little, and tried to croak out a few things to get myself in the groove. Its amazing how much your vocal chords remember, but just as amazing as to how much they suffer and lose without workouts.

Today, my fingers hurt from the strings, and my voice is a little raw, but my heart feels very full. It was a very good day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vixxen said...

um Tard.. at least "I" post :) ShaZAM

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home