My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

A very outgoing 30-something. Transplanted from Western Canada to Southern USA. An avid reader, prolific writer, and a musician.

Monday, August 29, 2005

He answered the call...


Regardless of whether or not one believes in the war in Iraq, and regardless of whether or not you like/hate GW... we are in it people... and every day there are young men and women fighting for our rights... however misguided, or how true they are. They don't care if you flipped your neighbor the bird, they don't care if you show your ignorance every day by being inconsiderate, they don't even care if you obey the laws or not. They simply answered the call, and are there, protecting your right to be as you please.

I attended Graduation ceremonies for my stepson this weekend. He graduated from Military Police Academy, and accomplished much more than just learning how to keep the peace. He became a man while he was in bootcamp, and in school. He learned about himself, and what is important to him, and I must say that I am so very proud of him. It was kind of bittersweet in a way for us. There is a long line of military service in the family. His father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, two uncles, and great grandfather etc, etc, have served and covered all branches of the service. He joined because he knew he was on his way to being a Thug, and knew that he needed the discipline that this would bring. We all knew that he would find himself along the way, and discover what he truly wanted. The bittersweet part of it is that in addition to discovering himself and his life goals, he also learned that he will be going to Iraq in the next 3 to 6 months. He will be keeping the peace, in a land where there has been no peace for much longer than the USA has been participating in wars. He will be keeping the peace, in a place where a great number of citizens will heed the call and try to kill "americans". He hugged me tight on his graduation day, and said... "Don't worry, I really do know what I want. I would rather go there and keep peace, than have to stay in my homeland and have them come here to kill those I love."

What a long way we have come.. he and I. He stood tall, and looked so handsome in his dress uniform. He looked me in the eye with the mischief and humor that has always been there, but I could also see the look of a man, who knows what is in store.

So, whatever your beliefs are, and whomever you pray to, please remember him in your thoughts and prayers. Here is what our future looks like.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

God Bless the kid. You know, I am a staunch advocate against the war and our president. I think that he has made stupid choices and put kids in harm's way where it didn't need to be done. But I believe in our fighting men and women. I know that they will get the job done, if given the proper backing. I just wish more discretion was exercised by their boss.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Vixxen said...

Thats really what matters Sam. We HAVE to be united for their sake. I cannot imagine another war, where the people fighting it feel like their country has betrayed them. Somehow I hope we can do it.. for them.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home